According to Tehran, “indirect” Iran-US nuclear talks mediated by Oman will be held on Tuesday, although Washington has previously pushed for other topics to be discussed including Iran’s ballistic missiles and support for regional proxies.
The war games in the Strait of Hormuz, the duration of which was not specified, aim to prepare the IRGC for “potential security and military threats” in the strait, state TV said.
It will be hard to make a deal with Iran, but the US will try, Rubio says
Middle East
It will be hard to make a deal with Iran, but the US will try, Rubio says
Iranian politicians have repeatedly threatened to block the strait, a strategic waterway through which about 20 percent of global oil passes, as both sides ramp up pressure with talks continuing.
Tehran and Washington restarted negotiations this month after previous talks collapsed when Israel launched an unprecedented bombing campaign against Iran last June.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Monday “we’re hopeful there’s a deal.”
“The president always prefers peaceful outcomes and negotiated outcomes to things.”
Considerable uncertainty surrounds the fate of Iran’s stockpile of more than 400 kilograms of 60-percent enriched uranium that was last seen by nuclear watchdog inspectors in June.
“The foreign minister has arrived in Geneva at the head of a diplomatic and expert delegation to take part in the second round of nuclear negotiation,” Iran’s state-run IRIB wrote on its Telegram channel.
The top diplomat, Abbas Araghchi, wrote on X that he was meeting in Geneva with the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, “for deep technical discussion.”
Grossi later confirmed the meeting on X, calling the conversation with Araghchi ”in-depth” ahead of Tuesday’s “important negotiations.”



